Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Love Magazines

When I was younger I was a voracious reader. I used to have six books on the go, which I think explains much about why my attention span is so bad these days. Anyway, I don't read half as much as I used to which is a shame. I am absolutely obsessed with magazines though. To a painful degree. I have a huge collection building up that is both impractical and slightly scary. But at least it's better than collecting stamps. Or plates. Or crack pipes.

Magazine wise these two are the current obsession:


X Magazine is basically the weekly X Factor magazine. It shouldn't work but it does, in spades. It goes into all the gory detail on each week's show, has a lively fashion section but it's the pop music writing and humour that is the selling point. It's a music mag for people who want to hear the latest on pop with no snobby music journos getting in the way. It's been a joy to read every week and having just found out it's folding with this week's issue I am a tad upset.

i-D is obviously a bit of an institution but one I've only come to enjoy in recent months. It's a big, ridiculous fashion title that is filled to the brim with ideas. What I love about i-D is how it mixes high concept photo shoots, oodles of cool creative types but ultimately has an accessible, unpretentious air that makes the content some ten times more enjoyable than your usual po-faced fashion title.

I also divide my reading time across the year between Rolling Stone, Hot Press, Elle (UK + US), Glamour (UK) and my all time Irish fave Stellar. I'm actually mentioned in the new issue of Stellar, on sale this week and to say I'm excited would be an understatement.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a bit of a cry about X Mag closing. Why is life so unfair?!?

1 comment: