Thursday, September 10, 2009

How I Learned To Love Festivals: Electric Picnic 2009

I had the pleasure of experiencing both my first ever festival and my first ever Electric Picnic last weekend and after years of rolling my eyes at people harping on about festivals, groaning at the mention of “festival chic” and plugging my ears at blanket radio coverage I finally get it. What a weird, wonderful and utterly surreal way to spend a few days. Tramping around a field, finding yourself at outdoor raves in the middle of the night, throwing shapes to Chic in a crowded tent, accepting the fact that you haven’t showered in days, using face wipes every five seconds… the festival experience really has it all.

Music wise I didn’t experience much but what I did was very good. Marina and The Diamonds really impressed me. Gorgeous pop songs and a charismatic lady fronting them who oozed charm and down to earth presence, she was a real surprise and I can’t wait to hear more from her.

Chic were mindblowing. I’ve never seen so many people so upbeat and enthralled in music. It might sound hippie tastic but it was a genuinely uplifting experience. 2 Many DJs did a set of truly epic proportions and Imelda May was every inch the polished star in the best possible way, bashing out an effortless and totally enjoyable set. What I remember (ahem) of Passion Pit was also great and The Big Bang at Poptopia proved that there is stardom due for Veda Beaux Reeves, Bitches With Wolves and Neosupervital and not a moment too soon.Just a quick mention as well to LoveAction the charity that had me down there. Raising awareness for equality in Ireland, they did a stellar job and got a great response. Find out more here.

All in all I had a blast. Lets do it all again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment